The Pew Research Center’s article “Teens, Social Media, and Technology 2023” reveals key insights into the digital behaviors of U.S. teens. Popular platforms include YouTube, TikTok, Snapchat, and Instagram. Usage patterns vary by gender, race, ethnicity, and household income, with significant engagement on these platforms. Teen girls tend to use TikTok and Snapchat more, while boys prefer platforms like Discord and Twitch. There’s also a notable shift away from Facebook and Twitter among teens. The report highlights the near-constant online presence of teens, with significant differences in internet use and device access across various demographic groups.
For small businesses looking to leverage these insights for marketing:
- Target Popular Platforms: Focus advertising on platforms like YouTube, TikTok, Snapchat, and Instagram to reach the teen demographic.
- Tailor Content by Demographic: Customize marketing messages based on the platform and demographic, considering the different preferences of teen boys and girls.
- Leverage Video Content: Given the popularity of YouTube and TikTok, create engaging video content that resonates with teens.
- Diversify Social Media Strategy: Consider using emerging platforms like BeReal, especially for targeting specific demographic groups.
- Understand Platform Dynamics: Stay updated on changing trends in social media use among teens to adjust marketing strategies accordingly.
For more detailed insights, you can read the full article here.